Friendships are important in several ways. They often make life worth living. You will agree that we might go nuts in our school, college or workplace if it wasn’t for those one or two friends we hung out with who always kept us entertained.Human beings are social animals and thus friendship is very important. Friendship has a tremendous impact on our mental health and wellbeing.
Spending quality time with good friends reduces our stress levels, provides us happiness and comfort, prevents us from feeling lonely and becoming depressed and also boosts up our physical health!
Here we will discuss some of the most important benefits of friendship
- It uplifts our mood- Hanging out and bring in the company of someone who is positive and happy or who we think really understands us elevates our mood and makes us feel understood.
- Friends help us achieve our goals- We all have dreams,goals and aspirations. Good friends are the ones who are always encouraging us to reach and achieve these goals even when we ourselves don’t see the point. They see the good in us and remind us of our worth.
- Lessen stress and depression – One of the main causes of depression is lonliness. Persons might think they wish to be popular or something like that but usually they simply want people to listen to them and love them. There is nothing wrong in wanting this. Spending time with our friends almost magically reduces our stress because they comfort us and having a shoulder to cry on or someone to vent to certainly helps with depression.
- Friends provide a in tough times- We often go through several storms in life. It is truly said that “A friend in need is a friend indeed”, true friends will be with us through thick and thin and help us out whether mentally or even with money and other support. Having a support system really helps us get through tough times.
- Support in old age- One of the saddest parts of life is that as we age, we often lose many of our loved ones. In such times, it is our friends who are beside us and share both our grief and joy alike. Having people you can depend on for company is a great help in such times.
- A boost to our self esteem- We might have felt that we were worthless or ugly and at such times, we might also have seen that our friends never agree with us! Friends see our true beauty and always keep us steady on our feet with love and understanding.
How to make friends?
If you are an introvert or shy, it can get difficult to make new friends but it is not impossible at all.
You don’t have to be the centre of attention at a party or be extremely outgoing to make wonderful friends.
Some tips to make better friends are given below-
- Think about others and not about yourself- If we become narcissistic and only care about our own feelings and interests, it becomes hard to make friends. The best way to make friends with someone is to show genuine interest in them, their likes and dislikes, feelings, opinions, their story and life and so on.
Several great people have said that if you show interest in other people rather than get them to show interest in you, you will make friends with ease.
- Pay genuine attention- You must pay genuine attention to the person you are trying to become friends with and listen to them proactively. Switch off your phone, show them that they matter. Also by paying such close attention to them, you’ll get to know them much better. You will remember their details and they will feel happy that you remembered something like their birthday or even their favourite colour. This will help you make friends with ease.
- Turn acquaintances into friends- We all have several people we know, perhaps we say hello to them when we meet them, or share a small joke or engage in small talk with them.
These people are your potential future friend. Every friend was once just an acquaintance. How did they become our friends!? The key to making friends from acquaintances is intimacy. Start sharing some small parts of your life with them and get them to share something of their own life with you.
You don’t have to tell them your deepest secrets (yet!), Simple personal information shared might break the ice of friendship and you will soon find yourself with many new friends.
There are several different kinds of friends. Romantic friends, platonic friends, acquaintances, online friends. The whole world is full of lovely people just waiting for you to come into their lives.
We don’t get to choose our family but we do get to choose our friends so go on out and make some friends and be sure to love and appreciate the ones you already have and you will live a wonderful, blessed and happy life.
We hope you enjoyed reading this article and we wish you a good day.